Red Twill History
Series 5A: Round Red Twill – White Glue Back (1954 - 1970)
The date patrol medallions changed from red broadcloth to red twill cannot be determined through known documentation. We can speculate the date based on other events in insignia history. The Committee on Badges, Awards and Requirements changed the Community Strips and Unit Numbers from khaki to red twill in 1953. Based on this insignia change we suggest the patrol medallions also changed to red twill at this same time.
The “A” variety is distinguished by the Elmer’s White Glue back. Between 1954 and 1970 the embroider National Supply used coated the back of badges with Elmer’s White Glue. The Elmer’s backing was used on many different scout badges.
The red dye in the cloth leached into the Elmer’s White Glue and caused the white glue to turn pinkish. Because the leaching caused a wide range of color change, extremely light pink to medium pink, there is no attempt to create variations based on the pink color.
During the years of red twill patrol medallions there were several manufacturing runs of red twill cloth. Each time the cloth was made and dyed a minor color variation was created. Due to the many variations and the minor changes in the red color there is no attempt to create variations based on red cloth shades.
Series 5B: Round Red Twill – Red Rubber Back (1971)
In 1971 the Red twill cloth manufacturer experimented with a very thin liquid applied coating that appears to be thin red rubber. This was done to eliminate the need for the embroider to apply a coating to the back of badges after the badges were embroidered. This method only worked for twill cut edge badges and did not solve the problems embroiderers were having with fully embroidered badges, thus the embroiderers abandoned the red backing and began applying a plastic backing to all badges. The plastic back badges are Series 5C.